Dr. Dorothy E. Whalen
Dr. Whalen has been practicing orthodontics in New York for over 30 years. She truly enjoys her profession, especially knowing she is able to help patients achieve beautiful, healthy, confident smiles for a lifetime. Dr. Whalen appreciates and respects the friendships she has built over the years with her patients and their families and is always happy to hear about her patients’ successes even after they’ve completed treatment.
From a patient’s very first orthodontic appointment to their very last orthodontic appointment, Dr. Whalen strives to deliver outstanding orthodontic care and create a positive orthodontic experience that will keep patients smiling for many years to come.
Dr. Whalen’s Education
Dr. Whalen completed her Bachelor’s degree in just three years at St. John’s University before being accepted at Georgetown University where she received her DDS from Georgetown University Dental School in 1975. She has her Certificate in Orthodontics from Columbia University College of Dental Medicine, Division of Orthodontics, 1977 and is board-certified by the American Board of Orthodontics.
Dr. Whalen regularly participates in Continuing Education to ensure she is current with the latest advancements in orthodontics and has the ability to offer patients the most up-to-date treatments. Her contributions and involvement in the orthodontic community include:
- Former President of College of Diplomates of the American Board of Orthodontics — regularly attends annual sessions
- Member of the American Association of Orthodontists
- Examiner for the American Board of Orthodontist since 2007
- Former President of the Northeast Society of Orthodontists (2006-2007)
- Past President of the prestigious NewConn of Orthodontic Study — an orthodontic study club that hosts a biennial seminar and monthly information meetings
- Delegate to the American Association of Orthodontists (2001-2009)
Outside of the office, Dr. Whalen has a love for running and has competed in triathlons for 11 years. In 2008, she participated in an Ironman race and placed fifth in her age group. She enjoys playing golf and skiing. She is married to Dr. Philip Bonanno and has two sons. Volunteering is a big part of her life and she is an active member of the Long Island Mentoring Partnership, a wonderful organization supporting the children of our community. Through that organization, she has mentored the same young lady for nine years on a weekly basis.